Interestingly, this project brought me to the cross roads I am talking about even though it brought a lot of satisfaction. I finally decided to make my own handles from scratch and the results were very good. However, you will see in the pictures a varying number of blanks and finished handles and in the end I had 5 blanks which resulted in 3 handles. You waste material any time you try something new, and I did here as well. What's more, moving forward there would be less and less waste. So it's not an entirely unfeasible prospect. But, one of the blanks was checked too badly for me to complete and seeing that put the final black mark on the gamble of ordering wood through the mail. Only time will tell the future of axes and O'Dell Studios.
Let's get to the good stuff. I made stop cuts, chiseled off the waste, used the draw knife to reduce the thickness and finished the handles on the belt sander as usual. Nothing fancy here. The hangs all came together nicely and all of these axes went off to their rightful owner, leaving only these pics in my possession. Let's do the pics - I've got lots.
|This head is from Hoffman Blacksmithing.|
|A True Temper 3-1/2lb Michigan pattern.|
|A True Temper Red Warrior, marked Kelly Works Connecticut pattern.|